We've moved discussions to Discord

Jumpstart Freezing

We downloaded the ZIP, bundled, and started the server using foreman. I set some basic configurations, however everytime I try navigating a few pages on the frontend (i.e. admin area) it freezes. Is this something related to webpacker or foreman settings? I'm forced to restart the server regularly
Justin Zimmerman
I have something similar. The server runs, but when I try to navigate away (after logging in as an admin) it loses connection. Sometimes it wont let me open the profile drop down. 

I haven't figured it out yet. 

I have, thus far, had success, manually typing in the navbar. So I wanted admin, i just added it to the end of the url
Kevin MacKenzie
Make sure Redis server is running, Justin.
Pedro Moura
I'm also getting this only on my development environment. I think I "de-froze" it once by changing the code and guard triggered a live reload. My suspicion is that this issue is linked with guard.
Mike Hatfield
I'm forced to restart the server regularly

I'm having to do the same when using foreman start
Will King
Also, same when using foreman start. When using rails s it works fine.
Justin Zimmerman
When I used "foreman start" that solved the issue I posted above. Everything freezing.

Now I am having the same issue as the OP. When I navigate away, I lose connection.

This is the error I am getting.

14:33:04 web.1     | exited with code 1
14:33:04 system    | sending SIGTERM to all processes
14:33:04 guard.1   | terminated by SIGTERM
14:33:04 webpack.1 | terminated by SIGTERM

iqbal Hasnan
Got that sometimes, I guess it's related to webpack compilation when making changes to css/js or it was something else? I wonder if this is affecting production too ?
Alisson Viegas
Hi guys! Any solution about that?
It started when I upgraded to ruby 3.
Marcus Schappi
I've been using the latest Jumpstart Rails commit (277092c532f2e338d61b47cf88324d118760a5bb) and I'm also getting random Ruby 3 crashes. 

I think Chris & Co should roll back to 2.7.2. It's only the latest version of Pagy that requires Ruby 3.
Rob Jonson
I'm seeing lots of ruby crashes as well.

I use foreman to run everything except rails s, and run that in a separate tab so that I can throw in byebug when I want to inspect things.

I'm not seeing outright freezes - but regular _long_ pauses where requests take 5 or 10 seconds before they progress.

iqbal Hasnan
so it's caused by ruby 3 ?
Joseph Clarke
Just wanted to add, I am also seeing a lot of random segfaults when using Ruby 3, I had to switch back to 2.7.
Justin Zimmerman
Something that worked with me, was making sure the redis-server was started and in the proper directory. If anyone needs help, please reach out
Alisson Viegas
Hi guys! Another thing observed, this problem occurs only with a subdomain (lvh.me). In the url localhost works.
Alisson Viegas
Justin Zimmerman what is the proper directory? I run redis-server in the main directory.
Justin Zimmerman
Alisson Viegas I believe if you are able to run from main directory then you probably did everything correctly. This is from the quick start
##
It is a good idea to copy both the Redis server and the command line interface into the proper places, either manually using the following commands:
  • sudo cp src/redis-server /usr/local/bin/
  • sudo cp src/redis-cli /usr/local/bin/
Or just using sudo make install.
##
I accidentally skipped over it the 1st time
Adam Howell
FYI I removed Guard from the Procfile.dev and the freezing stopped. Guard hasn't been updated since May 2020 so I'm thinking we might want to use another solution for live reload.
Alisson Viegas
Thanks  Justin Zimmerman  
Donal O Duibhir
I've been having similar issues (freezing) but different... it seems with HTTP2 and puma... puma seems to hold open connections in a CLOSE_WAIT state and then hits the default max in NGINX of 128 and stops responding... (this is with upstream via IP not unix socket and puma bound to 127.0.0.1). By ensuring proxy_http_version 1.1; in NGINX location for the proxy it seems to allow PUMA to clean up after itself better... is this just me? Am running nginx/1.19.9 on v4 and v6 as a reverse proxy and as per the Gemfile: Puma version: 5.2.2 (ruby 3.0.0-p0).
Donal O Duibhir
This is an interesting thread, it may be NGINX config or Ruby...  (my issue anyway) https://github.com/puma/puma/issues/882
Notifications
You’re not receiving notifications from this thread.