We've moved discussions to Discord

User Notifications

Tiago Casanova
Hi  Chris Oliver , hope everything is fine on your end!

We briefly discussed having some sort of notification system on the paid jumpstart plan previously on this thread.

I don't know if you're still working on having the activity_notification gem integrated with Jumpstart, but I thought you would also like to be aware of the work done by Evil Martians with active_delivery. I realize it doesn't have the default views provided by the other gem and a few neat features, but I do see some potential to better organize code and tests for the project. (Disregard if you were already aware of it)

I don't know if other users would need this type of feature, but I really believe having a user notification system by default would greatly benefit future iterations.

Let me know your thoughts on it!
Chris Oliver
I've been needing to revisit notifications. Been working on multitenancy a bit and a few other things and haven't gotten to this yet.

For some reason, all these gems seem confusing to me when I read the readmes. I just want to display notifications in the UI and have logic for sending them out via email, slack, etc.

Am I the only one that feels like these gems are confusing? If so, I think we may build something from scratch.
Romain Manguin
I agree, I don't understand why it seems so complex.
Tiago Casanova
The way I envision it, the complexity comes from the fact there will be multiple notifiable events and multiple notification targets, which users should be able to manage/cancel. I'm not even factoring in some "extras" present in the activity_notification gem, but push notifications with ActionCable should be in the main mix.

In the Jumpstart docs & config, there could be a whole section just to handle external services for notifications! 😅

Perhaps a modular barebones system like notifications-rails would be more appropriate...?

Sorry for the late reply!
Chris Oliver
Tiago Casanova  notifications-rails looks pretty neat, thanks for sharing that. It looks much more inline with what I'm looking to do.
Ugurcan Kaya
Tiago Casanova   Push Notifications and Browser notifications are different things. You can easily create browser notification with action cable and Notification API.  I remember Chris made a screencast about it in Gorails.com in the past. So if that's what you need, no gem needed really.

Chris Oliver  For push notifications, we need to implement a service worker to Jumpstart template first. Service workers handle the registration of a push notification. Then perhaps a gem can be created with useful helpers and model generators to persist & trigger a notification from the server. 

The only useful gem I found so far is the webpush gem.
Andrew Hodson
This would be great! 
Chris Oliver
Just updating this to mention we've added https://github.com/excid3/noticed to power notifications.
NG DAVID
I would nice to implement browser notification with action cable and Notification API.  

BTW, it would be nice to display number of unread notification on navbar. 
Any help ? 

Notifications
You’re not receiving notifications from this thread.